Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Iptal and Small Heartbreaks

















So after driving all night on the bus, watching the clock read 2:30, 3:30, 4:15 (getting light), 5:30, we arrive in Istanbul at the Ulusoy bus station and the shuttle refuses to take us to the airport as promised because we have too much luggage. Take two taxis after a yelling match. Sit down at Gloria Jeans for a $6 cappuccino or two and find out the Delta flight to NYC is iptal. This is not a good word. It means cancelled. Yep.
So followed four hours of frantic searching for another flight with a hundred other angry passengers. Finally put them on KLM to Amsterdam and then to NYC.
I took the train from Hydarpasa back to Our Anatolian City. When I made my ticket reservations the agent told me the single seats were gone (train is one seat on one side of aisle and two seats on other). I said no problem. So I find my seat and pretty soon the steward is asking to check my ticket for a young guy who will be my seat mate. He disappears and 10 minutes later takes his stuff and leaves a lady and little girl in his place. Very interesting.
Then it turns out the lady didn’t buy a seat for her daughter and she was supposed to. I feel sorry for the kid whose mother isn’t setting a great example. I play with her, she is entranced with me and I wish I had another change of clothes and my hairbrush so she could make me prettier. I love to have my hair caressed.
I am very very tired, can you tell?

No comments: