Thursday, January 24, 2008

Facebook

















So I joined Facebook the other day. Have been meaning to look into it for a while, and you can’t snoop around unless you join (it’s free). I have a friend who is studying social marketing, which uses social networks like MySpace and Facebook to sell products/get clients/capture markets (although very delicately)—Facebook as the new golf club, where you mix “friendship” and business.
I’m not really interested in marketing, but I am fascinated by the cultural event of Facebook. I tried to explain it to my mom, who is skeptical to say the least, by saying it is like having your phone book in the computer, and then having a party line. And she said, “Oh, you could have some big cocktails.” And that pretty much sums it up.
I am increasingly aware that I must act as a bridge between the Baby Boomers and Gen X. I am right in between, but belong to neither group. Baby Boomers can’t quite get a grip on the younger generation’s desire to live life totally on line, seemingly with no privacy. Aesthetically, Baby Boomers like clean, clear communication, while Gen X piles on decoration, meaning, layers, games, in general multitasking to an unheard of level (whether successful in getting things done is up to debate).
Anyway, I’m going to hang around Facebook and figure out how to use it (have some ideas). If you know me, please write on my wall.
Kiss,

No comments: