Monday, December 18, 2006

Bush (No, not that Bush)















Note: Stop reading if you have issues with female parts! (However, there is no cussing in this post, Gram.)
Turks are very modest people for the most part. Even in the gym locker room, women cover up on their way to the shower. They avert their eyes from me if I’m not fully dressed. One day I got hot doing the cross trainer, and took off my T-shirt to reveal my sports bra and you’d think I was naked they way people turned their heads away…
This makes it even more perplexing to discover that it is somewhat normal for Turkish women to shave or wax all their hair away that is not on their head. I work with nude models in my classroom, and yep, no hair there. Apparently there is something religious related, about hair not being longer than a wheat shaft. And someone told me her mother started removing her pubic hair as a young teenager, “for her potential husband.”
It sort of weirds me out, do men here want their women to look like young girls? Defend yourselves, my Turkish male friends! If it's just a cultural preference, whose preference is it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a religous obligation for both men and women. It is supposed to make you enjoy intercourse. Islam is funny that way.

kloeamongtheturks said...

Hi,
Thanks for your comment. I'm still grappling with this issue in my mind, have read various accounts of women deciding to wax completely or partially, how painful it is, and how most like the result personally (both for sensual and sexual reasons). I'm very interested in the relations between the sexes here, and plan more posts about it in the future. I hope you'll comment again, I'd like your opinion.
Kloe
PS How do you know it's a religious obligation? Is it written down somewhere, or just common knowledge?