Tuesday, January 16, 2007

100th Post Rant









































Normally I don’t post more than one photo per day, but I want you to get the picture. These are just a few of the photo collages that currently grace our school hallway, a hallway I walk down multiple times each day. They are student work from a basic design course.
Now I know that 18-year-old college students, especially guys, think in imagery like this. They can’t help it. It’s the teacher’s responsibility to guide his students to make the right decisions. I like sexual exploration in art. But there is a difference between making a comment on sexual degradation of women (or men) and participating in that degradation.
So I’m getting all hot and bothered by these collages, and find out the teacher is a bit of an enigma (he doesn’t speak English, or I’d go talk to him in his smoke-filled office). He’s legendary for encouraging young students to let go of inhibitions, which are really present in Turkey. He’s a champion of free speech. A friend told me he’s even a bit of a feminist. But another friend told me he’s a wolf in sheep’s clothing, and “walks in the snow but leaves no footprints.” Meaning he’s a sexist pig who gets off on his young students.
In any case, I find it appalling that the women in my faculty are subjected to this imagery. My female students are less ambitious and more insecure than my male students, and this sort of stuff doesn’t help. So should I make a scene about this? I have already raised a few eyebrows with the conceptual assignments in my classes, maybe I’d be pushing too much.

No comments: