Saturday, March 03, 2007

Health Standards















Oh dear, our friend who died yesterday was even younger than I thought, only 46. How can a man be used up by 46? What can I do to make a difference here, however small? I think I need to speak up about the conditions in the painting studios, where students work among open jars of turpentine, linseed oil, and varnish with no ventilation system. They also eat, drink and smoke in the studios, although I forbid the smoking when I’m there. Students are around only four years building these bad habits, but faculty have long-term exposure to the harsh chemicals. Will they listen to me now?
To join the European Union, Turkey will be forced to adopt much stricter health standards at businesses and schools. American health officials are also cracking down; university faculties can receive huge fines for having food containers (like paper plates or yogurt cups) in art/craft studios, for example. These rules save lives, though. For my part, I stopped painting with oils about ten years ago, strictly for health reasons. It’s just not worth the risk.

No comments: