Saturday, April 21, 2007

Noticias de Comida

















At the tail end of my illness, I basically haven’t cooked a thing in two weeks and we’ve been living off Turkish takeout. Kid.01, my little gourmand, came to me weepy and said he couldn’t take one more Turkish meal. I agreed with him and promised I’d make a really American meal soon as I could.
How bout meatloaf, mashed potatoes, ketchup, and peas?
The Bisquick I brought with me from the last visit to the States is regretfully almost gone, but I did make chicken and dumplings once. Somehow there’s just no replicating that taste of partially hydrogenated soybean and/or cottonseed oil in the mix.
We now have a Domino’s Pizza in Our Anatolia City.
Being sick deadened my appetite for my favorite food groups: coffee, wine, chocolate and bread. I am now a shocking 52 kilos.
This weekend is a holiday, “23 Nisan,” or Children’s Day. The weather has blossomed into early summer, complete with bees and kids playing in the dirt. We ate our first lunch out on the balcony in the sun. And tonight we returned to one of our favorite outdoor restaurants to eat lamb chops and kunife, battered cheese drenched in syrup with pistachios.

No comments: