Monday, April 30, 2007

Remember Books?

















I am so bleeding discouraged by the novels I’ve been reading here in Turkey; they just can’t hold me like a good, to-the-point blog post can. Granted, I brought only what I thought were “classics” from a used bookstore. I got through a minor Margaret Drabble, slogged through Indiana by George Sand, am now in the midst of Main Street by Sinclair Lewis (the other Carrie story, Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser, is devastating, this one is just annoying).
Have been trying to finish Snow by Orhan Pamuk for months. The novel is maddening, and I haven’t met a single person who could finish it. You already know the writer/Pamuk will be assassinated, you had the climatic massacre in the theater in the first half of the book--basically there are no surprises because this is such a self conscious novel he tells you everything before in occurs. Except--now I find out he loses the love of his life due to jealousy he feels toward her previous lover??? No, a writer can’t compare with a sexy blue-eyed revolutionary, but just take what you can get, Sad-Sack! And this was the Nobel Prize getter. Jeesh!
Two consolations:
North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell. Wonderful. Check out the BBC miniseries for one of THE most beautiful men on the planet.
And Harry Potter IV, a few pages each night with Kid.01.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

too funny, i got stuck on Snow shortly after the massacre. I somehow feel like I have to finish it, will let you know if I do.
love
Lidia

kloeamongtheturks said...

Well, my aunt just wrote me that she did indeed finish it, but with gritted teeth. I told her to give My Name is Red a try...
How is Bulgaria? I hope to see you soon.
XOXO

Anonymous said...

Hi Kloe, I'm sure you must have noticed that you're a celebrity now (check out IHT's website today). Just wanted to check with what you do on your blog, and I think it's fun and you're cool. BTW, I liked the Orhan Pamuk bit, and my personal opinion is, no amount of hardwork is going to get you to understand his novels. And don't ever think it's you or something's wrong with the translation, for quite a few Turks have the same problem as well. Sometimes I tend to think he never actually meant to publish his stuff. His first bits were better I believe("Beyaz Kale" is OK, a bit Amin Maaloufish)

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
You re, I guess , probably very interested to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may commense to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The firm incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with offices around the world.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your chance That`s what you desire!

I feel good, I began to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a proper companion who uses your savings in a right way - that`s it!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://atyjyneryt.lookseekpages.com/ajinasa.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to become rich

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have been times of hardship when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright stupid person.
I have never thought that there weren't any need in large starting capital.
Nowadays, I'm happy and lucky , I begin to get real money.
It gets down to choose a proper companion who utilizes your funds in a right way - that is incorporate it in real deals, parts and divides the income with me.

You can ask, if there are such firms? I'm obliged to answer the truth, YES, there are. Please get to know about one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]