Saturday, May 12, 2007

Headscarves

















This is a big issue here.
First some style points:
• Above, on the left is the traditional village look. Scarf is wrapped loosely around the hair and tied in the back. Scarf is usually cotton with embroidered edges. It’s OK for hair to show.
• On the right is the religious look, which is also a political statement. Mostly seen on women under 35. An underscarf is worn that covers all hair. There is also a sort of stiff visor that is wrapped in the outer scarf, which is silk or other satiny material. The whole thing is pinned under the chin so no neck shows, and tucked into one’s overcoat. The chic look at the moment is for the back of the head to appear puffy, like one has a big bun of hair under there. I imagine the religious headscarf takes getting used to, as you’d have no peripheral vision, and it would be quite hot under there.
• Not shown, the mature lady look—much like an American lady in her 60s would put a scarf over her permanent to keep it from getting mussed.
• Very elderly ladies wear white cotton scarves, which I think looks great and will remember for my decrepitude ☺.
I have not a single Turkish women friend who wears a headscarf. I have barely spoken to a woman in a religious headscarf. My housekeeper wears a village scarf, and her hair is short underneath (it looks great, btw). I see many girls wearing headscarves as they walk on the university campus, but they may not wear them into the classroom. This is the law as directed by Ataturk. No headscarves are allowed in any government buildings.
A professor friend recently proctored an exam in another department and she told me that female students asked her if they had to remove their scarves before entering the classroom (of course she told them to). The scarves represent the religious right, and the probable next president’s wife wears one. It’s got Turks totally riled up. If I were a Muslim woman, I’d be worried too. Covering my body, my hair, my femininity, would be impossible for me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

there is no left party in turkey. we've got the pious right(AKP, ANAP, BBP, DYP, MHP)
the secularist right (CHP, DSP, GP)
the kurdish right(DEP).
so left and right arent really appropiate for turkey..
also, turgut ozal was a lot more pious muslim than gul and tayyip combined, and he was prime minister and president of turkey until his death in the 1990s. when he was being elected, deniz baykal etc were claiming even worse things about him then they now had about gul.

kloeamongtheturks said...

Hi Kahraman,
Thanks for your comments and for reading! I don't know much about Turkish politics, except it's really complicated for a small country. I hope you'll continue to give me input.
Best,
Kloe

kloeamongtheturks said...

Oh Kahraman,
now I get it! I wasn't referring to Left and Right on the political spectrum, but the left and right photos of me modeling the headscarves! But I still appreciate your comments, because I did indeed think there was a Political Left in Turkey. (A friend told me bitterly at lunch yesterday that "they" had killed off the Left...)

Anonymous said...

Q