Sunday, May 27, 2007

Knowing Kloe

















In Antalya I met K, who writes a blog about teaching science and baking cakes in Istanbul. We met briefly in September, but now that I’ve been following her blogging life, I feel I know her. The thing is, I do not. Blogging is strange that way.
Some of you who read this blog may also think you know me. You may have never met me in real life. You may have known me years ago and are catching up with me occasionally. You may be a new friend I’ve met here in Turkey. Or you may be one of my closest confidents. But let me tell you, except for those very close ones, you do not know me. You do not know my dreams or my tragedies or my favorite color or how I feel when I look at my children. I am not the same person I was yesterday or last year or 10 years ago. Kloe is a dynamic character who shapes her narrative as she wants. She reveals happiness and sadness and anger according to her whim.
You may have loved me in the past, you may love me now or in the future. Or I may have loved you, which I do fiercely. There’s a part of me that will always love you even if we don’t see each other anymore. Even if you are gone from my life, I think of you. You have become a part of Kloe.
As you can see, I escaped the pirates, with some regret...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yo Kloe,

it was nice to meet you again in person (though I did not me your Bratzy avatar)... when I was in university (before I came to Turkey I called it "college" but now it's university, all the time) I really liked a particular singer, who would tell funny stories about her life and songs on stage in between singing... and everyone felt they knew her. then someone pointed out that she shares just so much, that her stories are a careful revelation, keeping back so many other things that shouldn't be said from a stage. anyway, as a blogger I am pretty open and sometimes too open, but still, I think the same idea holds true... it's a public image that we reveal to others, and it is crafted, for all that it's also confessional. and then you meet the blogger in real life and get to know her a little as a person and sometimes it coincides and sometimes contradicts and sometimes deepens what you know from the blog. hmmm. I think I'm going to write about this. anyway, good luck with the rest of your time in Turkey.... I'll keep reading!

-K

kloeamongtheturks said...

Hi K
Thanks for talking the other night and for the comment. It really helped to hear all the stories of our year here, how everyone struggled.
I'll continue reading you too!
hugs and kisses,
Kloe