Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Copyright

















It's basically useless here. At video stores you can get the latest movies that you can’t find yet in the US. To rent one costs about $2, to buy one about $4. There are guys who have little video copying businesses on the side. Even my bank, you would think a solid business, has a video running in its main branch that basically strings together 20 iconic movie clips under their logo and platitudes. There is no way the bank got the rights to all those scenes of Melanie Griffith, Tom Cruise and Russell Crowe.
My friend from TRT explained to me there are not sufficient laws in Turkey to protect creatives. She said TRT also gets its content stolen, and she feels helpless to change the situation.
I also know (don't ask me how) that small magazines published here sort-of-don’t-really-bother with getting permission to use images, etc…
Yet, when I tried to get my students to steal from pop culture for their artwork (this is called Postmodernism), they had a hard time doing it.

No comments: