Monday, July 30, 2007

How to Price Artwork

















Very difficult. Unless your work is selling consistently you have no idea what the market will bear concerning your work. And very few artists sell consistently.
At student exhibitions in Turkey I saw undergrad students directed to price their work very high. There is no chance to sell such work. But perhaps the university’s reputation is what is at stake, rather than realistic selling points.
Artwork has no intrinsic value, all value is created. This is what the gallery or agent is supposed to do. In Turkey the gallery takes 20-35%. In the U.S. galleries take 50-60%. Of course the artist pays for all framing and shipping.
I sold dozens of paintings in Turkey. Will I ever sell here? I’m waiting to hear about my large nudes in NYC. Maybe I can price them very high, but I could sell those same works for a few hundred dollars. Will buyers value them more with the fancy price? It’s an experiment.
Commerce is hell.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Put on the fancy price, Kloe. You only need one buyer to get the ball rolling and establish "value."

If you start low, you'll have a difficult time moving your prices upwards.

Good luck!

kloeamongtheturks said...

Thanks for the vote on confidence.
However, I am glad I priced my works in Turkey low enough to sell, especially as incomes are lower there. But I told my gallery to raise the prices of my paintings now, and for my next show there the prices will also be higher.
I will need the luck!
K

Anonymous said...

commers is hell! we're trying to make sense of it.. i have a plan...
lets see if it works.

all the best with your nudes!

kloeamongtheturks said...

Dear m i n g
Well, if you have a plan you're ahead of me... I'll take any advice!
Thanks for your good wishes.
K