Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Trisha Brown































































This work was one of the best in the entire Documenta. The sculpture itself is compelling even without dancers interacting with it, but amazing when performed on. I saw 12 dancers doing minimal movement around the sculpture, while museum visitors walked in between the performers. Then three of these dancers got on and into the sculpture, putting their legs and arms into the clothing, then hanging down under the sculpture. Really exciting. My only criticism is that I wished the dancers had interacted with each other a bit more, like monkeys playing and fighting in trees, to fully exploit the emotionally possibilities of the space. But I don’t think Brown’s choreography is about emotion, that’s just my own preference.
Anyway, I felt like getting up there and joining them in the dance! See video here, be patient, it's worth the wait.

No comments: