Thursday, August 16, 2007

Blog Like an Iceberg, Blooming Unseen beneath the Surface

















I had to complete a final report for the grant I received to teach in Turkey. One of the items was to describe my most important achievement of the year abroad. Even though I was a pioneering foreign member of a department, I designed a new course (the new media/installation/performance class), I opened two one-person exhibitions, and I almost got arrested, I without hesitation wrote that this blog was my most significant accomplishment. Because of the number of people I have reached, the broad range of topics I tried to explore, and the consistent visual theme of identity and sexuality I pursued (how’s that for ArtSpeak), this blog touches on all I want to do with my art. Plus it is very important to me personally.
So with that in mind, I have decided not to end the blog, at least for now. And that includes keeping the name, even though Kloe is no longer exactly Among the Turks. I’m now taking a broader understanding of “Turk,” using it in the old-fashioned sense of “Young Turks” (although I have no opinion about Young Turks and genocide; I take the definition of a progressive group).
Cool sculpture by Joanne Hawakawa.

5 comments:

SexyNerdCo. said...

Wow, you've done so much over the past year, I think you're actually amazing! I actually find you to be one of the most influential people ever.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're going to keep blogging- taking a look at what's new with Kloe is now part of my typical internet routine. The posts are consistently worth reading and looking at (thanks!).

kloeamongtheturks said...

Ohhh,
You guys are just too sweet!
Many hugs and kisses,
Kloe

Anonymous said...

Hi Kloe. I'm glad you're going to keep blogging, too. I knew one of your alternate selves a long time ago, back when I was a grad student and you were a ballroom dance instructor. 1991, I think it was. I recently found your blog and enjoy it very much. As long as you keep writing it, I'll be reading it.

kloeamongtheturks said...

Hi tim h
how lovely to "re-meet" you, I hope I was a good girl when you knew me, long ago...
kiss, Kloe