Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Labor Day, Early

















A friend lost his job the other day. It was a job he didn’t really like, that didn’t challenge him, and had no future. Only paid the bills.
I know many people work like this. It makes me so thankful I have a job (tenuous, yes) I love, one that constantly changes and invigorates me. I’m back teaching now at my very urban college. The SoCal students are as diverse as the Turkish students were homogenous.
Many of my eager bunch this term are older, with degrees in engineering or marketing or nursing, and have realized they aren’t happy, so are returning to school to explore art. And even if they never become artists, at least they are pursuing their goal, working toward it, and this gives them and me a great deal of satisfaction and joy.

No comments: