Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Drawing from the Nude

















I came home from work last night buoyant from teaching my figure drawing class. We had a model for the first time. It’s a very large class with many young students in their first semester of college. Everyone was totally cool, model was professional and beautiful, and one guy even told me, “I just did the best drawing of my life,” to which I replied “Great, I hope you say that often in this class!” Cute, very cute.
One of the religious ladies was in the kitchen, and as I related my day, her eyes grew big. She finally got her question in: why do you have to work with nude models? And you know, no one has ever asked me that before. I told her that sometimes the model is clothed, that we need to see the structure of the body, that we study anatomy. But it really comes down to two things: centuries of tradition of working from the nude, and that people like to look at naked bodies and pictures of naked bodies. Why not be truthful? And believe me, drawing a nude is pretty challenging for most students.
Extra credit for knowing where I took this photo…

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's Tarzan's Treehouse at Disneyland.

Anonymous said...

I know it´s me or Tarzan
M

kloeamongtheturks said...

Yeah!!! Formerly Swiss Family Robinson's treehouse, weird how those Disneyland themes get recycled.

Anonymous said...

Disney's recycling of themes really bugs me sometimes. For instance, back when I was a kid growing up in Florida, one of my favorite attractions at Disneyworld was the Tiki Birds. When I went back to Disneyworld a couple of years ago, I found that it was now "The Enchanted Tiki Room (Under New Management)". Apparently, some Disney suit decided that the old attraction needed to be "updated" to appeal to today's kids, so they changed the show to shoehorn in the bird characters from Aladdin and The Lion King. All to the detriment of the show, IMHO. I grant you that attractions like Tomorrowland need to be updated every so often, but the Tiki Birds was timeless, dammit!

kloeamongtheturks said...

Yes, and Tom Sawyer's Island is now full of Pirates, and the Jungle Safari boat ride is some kind of Raiders of the Lost Arc thing (not sure, cause I didn't have the heart to check it out and ruin my fond memories...)