Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Other Ways to Go

















This video artist, Jeremy Blake, recently walked into the ocean after his longtime girlfriend, Theresa Duncan, also killed herself. They were a young NYC/LA couple, hip and cultured, successful by most standards artists hold themselves to.
This double suicide has fascinated the Artworld. They were beautiful, they were popular, they were on the way up. She wrote a cryptic and intelligent blog. They were also apparently paranoid and frustrated. I wonder if the constant stress of keeping up the image of “artist” was involved. I wonder about myself, if I could keep up the image, if I should do it. It’s a very selfish lifestyle.

2 comments:

ms. v. said...

I've just started dating a painter. He tells me I work too hard... but honestly, I look at him and I'm like... WHO works too hard?! We're two of a kind. Thankfully, there's none of the artist-lifestyle stuff that so many adopt in NYC.

This post fascinated me a little... I guess I've always wondered a bit what happens to online identities when a person dies... especially when I was anonymous... you form these connections to people through blogs and if one person dies... then what?

Hmmm. Very random comment I'm leaving you here.

kloeamongtheturks said...

Hi Ms. V.
Hope the painter is treating you well. We are not that easy to be around... and yes, we work hard, obsessivly so.
Yes, it's interesting that Teresa Duncan's blog is still out there, probably with more readers and notoriety than when she was alive.
The artist lifestyle can be fun in small doses–I hope you get to some openings with your new guy.
kiss,
Kloe