Thursday, April 17, 2008
Oh, this art history is killing me. Please, if you’re considering teaching it as a studio artist, reconsider. Because:
1. You read the 20lb text book.
2. You enter notes on the 30-50 slides per chapter in Powerpoint.
3. Then you have to read a secondary source to get other info the students expect (fact: a college teacher must know more than her students).
4. You read notes from an expert (an art historian friend of mine).
5. Every 3-4 weeks you give a test to your 70 students that takes DAYS to grade.
So you’re paid for only three hours of teaching, none of the prep or grading, which adds about 15-20 hours per week.
I’m counting the days til this semester is finished.