Monday, August 04, 2008

Studio Rent Due



Soon I have to decide whether or not to keep my little studio. In June I borrowed a large painting studio in a nice building from a friend. I was so productive there that when my friend came back I rented another, smaller space down the hall. Again I used it well.
It’s a luxury. But I’m realizing that to be taken seriously as a painter, I must pay the price and look like one. That means a professional place to work in, where curators can come and refer collectors. I also enjoy the camaraderie among the artists; it feels like we are all working toward something together.
My Greek series continues to grow. Instead of limiting myself to one size for a series, like I’ve done in the past, I’m allowing bigger and smaller paintings to flow as I need to work out problems.
I started four small torsos that are fun and easy, decorative but beautiful, while I’m trying to figure out how to fix the bigger works. The colors are muted but sweet pinks and grayed yellows set against dark purples and brownish blues. I also splurged on linen to see if it affects my work. Yikes, like it, and it’s $33/yd. Will have to check upholstery stores to see if I can find it cheaper.

No comments: