Saturday, November 14, 2009

Funhouse Painting



I’ve been painting a lot recently, several hours straight each day.
For the past two days it hasn’t gone well: colors and light not quite gelling, paint not the right consistency, texture too precious. I worked on a different painting each day, trying to stay loose, knowing I wasn’t improving the pieces, but pushing through. I have to figure out how to salvage these two paintings, which could work if edited well.
Tonight I opened my studio for the monthly public showing. Didn’t want to waste the hours, so I threw up a new painting. After about 30 minutes it dawns on me I’m painting well, that it’s so easy, that my brush picks up the correct colors each time, even thought I’m being interrupted by people asking questions and friends stopping by. I love that little creeping feeling that I can’t make a wrong mark, and as confidence grows, I paint better.
There’s no clear reason why I painted well today and poorly yesterday. I just have to accept my rollercoaster abilities, be happy for the highs and work through the lows.

2 comments:

ms. v. said...

The best feeling! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

kloeamongtheturks said...

"The hallmark of flow is a feeling of spontaneous joy, even rapture."
Yep.