Monday, December 11, 2006

Pleasantly Thin















Since we’ve been in Turkey I’ve lost some kilos. It’s rather fun to get on a scale and have no idea how much you weigh because it’s not in pounds. Turkish food is great, and I’m sure I consume my fair share of calories in alcohol, but still I’m skinnier than I’ve been in a long time.
I bought some new jeans at the Gap before we left SoCal. I used to be a size 8, now I’m mostly a size 6, but these jeans were a size 4 and now they bag on me. Come on people, I’m not that small! What does Barbie do for clothes?
Here college age kids are mostly slender, but I’m afraid that’s probably due to smoking. Many Turks, like Americans, pretty much let themselves go over the age of 30. I belong to a snazzy gym here, and I am the most in shape person I've seen working out. And this from a girl who goes to the YMCA back home cause it’s full of old and handicapped people who don’t fit into the SoCal meatmarket mentality. But while Turks may be slightly plump, you never see the obesity here you see everyday in the States. OK, pass the olive oil.

No comments: