Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Career Girl















Here’s a friend, she’s in her late twenties, who works 6-7 days a week (private companies seem to own their employees here). She's very smart. She and her boyfriend just got engaged. But I’m a bit worried about her. She comes from a modern family. Her boyfriend’s mother and sisters, whom she met for the first time at the engagement ceremony–talk about stress–wear headscarves. So how strong will his family traditions be? My friend and I talk about relationships and marriage, but I am hardly one to give advice.
She’s read this blog and it inspired her to create her own (sorry, it’s private and in Turkish). I’m complimented. I also trust her. One of the hardest, cruelest parts of being an expat, far from your close friends, is that you have no one to confide in. I have faith in you, S, for both of us.

No comments: