Thursday, January 25, 2007

Fish and Cars















Yesterday I finally had the perfect meal I’ve been waiting for in Turkey, in a most surprising place. Parents of friends invited us to “fish night” at the guest house of a government agency here in our Anatolian City. Only employees of this agency are admitted, and by the time we left at 9pm the place was filled with men playing backgammon and smoking, their wives at home.
Here’s what we ate:
Soup and bread (my least favorite part)
Fresh orange juice
Grilled trout on a bed of sweet onions with lemons
Side of arugula and parsley
Halva with lemon (eaten with the fish)
Raki
Citrus, apples and bananas
Cay
Simple, no choices, perfect. Even kid.02 loved the fish.
Today for the first time I drove a car that we have rented for the week. What a revelation. I normally don’t enjoy driving in SoCal, but here I suddenly felt free. For four months I have depended on walking, taxis, trams, services, and friends, but today I was in control. Today I didn’t need to hurry or lug all my bags or freeze my nose/ass off. I know, I’m spoiled brat, but to have a car…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kloe,
the food sounds great. I finally had time to read your recent posts. Very refreshing and inspiring. It also
gives me a chance to learn about you, to get to know you better, somehow. Can't wait to read and see more about your upcoming exhibit. By the way, I love your clothing.

Anonymous said...

about your Turkish women paintings on ArtofKloe
(not a blogger yet and could not post it on the art page)
Kloe,
these paintings (Turkish women) are amazing. Very strong. At first I did not even notice the princess collages, how clever. There is so much to see, almost like swimming through layers of colors to get to the faces, which are still mysterious. I want to know the stories of these women, their lives, their worries. Love the format and the compositions.

kloeamongtheturks said...

Hi Lidia,
Thanks so much for the comments! I'm glad you like the portraits. They are very intuitive: never painted from photos, I need the sitter right there to feel how she feels. I think these women are really beautiful (like you!) I'm starting a few new ones of slightly older women who have much more complex and difficult lives. I hope they turn out...
love, Kloe