Friday, February 02, 2007

Eating Thoughts















As someone who has been obsessed with food and her body almost her entire life, I find it very interesting how my kids eat. I have one kid who is a young foodie, who started noticing how food tasted and commenting on it at age 3. Unfortunately, this kid also overeats because he can’t stop himself. He tries everything, and likes almost everything, and isn’t really into physical activity. My other kid could care less about food. I sneak him whole milk and extra butter, but he’s the type that has to wear a belt cause his pants fall off him. He does like dessert, though.
In both my and my husband’s families we have relatives who are thin and others who are pretty overweight. So genetically the kids could go either way.
My own attitude toward food is complicated. As an ex-dancer (who was told by a ballet master at age 12 that developing breasts were fat), I am almost never satisfied with my body. Having gone through two pregnancies in which I gained 45 pounds each time, I have gradually gotten my body back (altered, it’s true), but with lots of work (I do understand why many women just can’t do it). I subscribe to two philosophies:
1. NWC= Not Worth the Calories. If something isn’t really good, I generally don’t eat it.
2. The First Bite is the Best. A neighbor and I realized one day that this is the way we eat: the first bite is really the only bite you taste. The first sip of coffee is the best, the rest is just warm. The first taste of chocolate is divine, the first bite of each thing on your plate is almost enough. The rest is just eating for energy.

No comments: