Thursday, February 01, 2007

Separate















Men and women don’t mix here much. If one man is with women friends, it is fine, but if a few men are added to the group, the sexes drift apart. The other day I came into a group of people on couches, and I sat down next to a man (with whom I wanted to talk), and was politely directed to sit with the women. And these were highly educated people! Parallel conversations then continued within the group. Another example: at a parent meeting at the grammar school, couples came in the door together, but most men dropped their wives off in the front of the classroom and went to sit with the men in the back. Reminded me of when I went to summer biology class at a Catholic school, girls on one side and boys on the other.
For the benefit of my Turkish readers, in America it is common, at a dinner party for example, for guests to sit boy/girl/boy/girl, and many times you don’t sit next to your partner. I like it like that.
BTW, in my next life I’m coming back as a man, but I'm sure you guessed that.

No comments: