Saturday, February 10, 2007

Traveling like Hell















1. From our Anatolian City, 6 hour bus trip, in which the driver smoked (drivers are exempt from the no-smoking-on-public-transport rule) and a very violent movie was shown despite half a dozen kids on the bus. Stayed overnight in Istanbul.
2. Taxi to airport in plenty of time. Waited on the tarmac for an hour before take-off. 10 ½ hour flight to NYC, waited another hour on the tarmac. Missed connecting flight, along with 20 other Turks.
3. Stayed in airport hotel, had a GREAT hamburger and martini in the bar watching a black debutant event (girls in crowns and dads in fedoras), Persian barkeep, white jocks, too-pretty Asian girls eating peanuts. Made friends with a fellow traveler-in-distress, a Turkish guy from Bursa going to SoCal to study English for a few months. Must take him museum hopping…
4. NYC to Salt Lake City. And you guessed it, mechanical problems, another 2 ½ hour delay.
5. Salt Lake to SoCal.
Istanbul to NYC: 5191 miles/8354 km
NYC to SoCal: 2429 miles/3909 km
Total travel time: 59 hours

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kloe!!! IP here, from Brooklyn, sister of IR if you know what I mean!
I love, love, love your blog. It made me cry in several spots. You are very brave! Very brave! And strong, and so talented and beautiful in your soul.
It's wonderful that you can continue to be so productive, and add this whole new medium to your life (the blog, I mean) while continuing to be a mom and wife, and the Turkish language on top of it all. The cultural differences, the loneliness. You're a wonderful person. We (the P's and the R's) are lucky to have you in our lives. I hope you visit NY very soon.
Much, much love..... i.

Anonymous said...

By the way, I read the whole blog, from start to finish, every post, from the very beginning. If it were a book, I'd have to say I couldn't put it down!
My novel is on hold, btw, since the only creative thing I'm doing right now is renovating the new house (I know you saw the pix) and finishing my Master's in Library Science at Pratt.
More love, much more, i.

kloeamongtheturks said...

Dear IP,
Oh, I'm so happy to hear from you! The house is fantastic. Good luck on that project.
I'm glad you liked the blog, I get worried when real writers read it, that maybe it's boring... but it's my lifeline as an expat. I know you know what I mean.
Hope to see you soon.
love and kisses,
Kloe