Friday, April 06, 2007

I Heart Shopping

















I’ve been spending some time recently at the two new malls. There are food courts, coffee shops that don’t serve Nescafe, toy shops, boutiques (I really love the new spring dresses), and there is Carrefour. Carrefour is the WalMart of Europe, big enough to stock imports like tofu, Swiss cheese, filtered coffee, Haagen Daaz, and avocados. You pay for these luxuries, but sometimes it’s worth it.
And yes, I’m feeling badly for abandoning the city center and old ways of shopping, so last weekend I went downtown to replace a misplaced school uniform shirt and buy some wooden items. After walking around for a couple hours dragging unhappy kids and being completely unsuccessful, I realized I shouldn’t feel guilty. Just like in the U.S., many small and expensive shops on “Main Street” will go out of business. Shoppers will be free do more profitable things with their time than run from place to place. A housewife’s revolution is taking place in Our Anatolian City.
And today I bought one of the new black and white op art dresses. It fits like a Chinese dress from the 50s. Now if it would just get a little warmer…

No comments: