Thursday, April 26, 2007

More Blogging Thoughts

















I’m trying to put my finger on why I am so wrapped up in blogging, both working on kloeamongtheturks and reading other blogs, which I do several hours each night. (I haven’t linked to most of these blogs cause they don’t relate to this one and, let’s be honest, some are not G-rated…)
Creating a blog can be a very light activity, but long-term blogging is a tremendous project, requiring countless hours of writing, researching, designing, making visuals, interacting with the blogging community, and promoting your blog (which I haven’t done, yet). Creating a blog is like writing a novel, with intricate characters, settings, plots and subplots. Blogs, like postmodern novels, contain multiple layers as comments enrich the narrative.
But there are differences. The blogger is publishing the blog-novel in process, rather than completely finishing a tomb and then sending it off to be critiqued/rejected/published. The blog-novelist is self-publishing, which is a very powerful idea and not as ego-massaging as in the past (think of the self-produced pop music and movies that have achieved success). When you self-publish you can DO ANYTHING, or anyway, it feels that way: write a novel, make a movie, bring down a congressperson, run for president. Your work is not under your bed, waiting to be discovered after you’ve died—it’s out there somewhere in the blogosphere. Even if no one reads it, the possibility exists that someone will and someone is.
After publishing every post I click on “view blog,” although I know exactly how it will look. Even after 190 posts, I still get a kick out of seeing my shiny new entry up on the web.
PS Don’t you just love this dress? It’s what a Turkish bride might wear at her engagement party…
PPS A few weeks ago Blogger popped up here completely in Turkish, so now all my interface is done in Turkish. Cok iyi, Kloe!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, you really ARE getting into the blogging... eline sağlık. my computer weirdly switches between english (most of the time) and turkish (occasionally, unpredictably) for my interfaces... I wish it would just stay in English, honestly. I have a question for you about arts education... I apologize if you've written about this already and I missed it... how do families here view their kids' desire to be artists? is it respected as a choice? do the kids have to take the OSS test to study art in school? or do they go through some other process? all this was inspired by a little chat I had with a guy at an art gallery / framing store... he and his twin brother both studied fine arts and both are painters, but his brother does it seriously while he really doesn't paint much any more for economic reasons...

Kelly

kloeamongtheturks said...

Hi Kelly,
Thanks for reading! I read yours too.
I'll write a post on these issues. I sort of know from talking to my students, but I'll find out about the OSS test specifically.
See you soon down in Antalya?
Kloe