Thursday, May 31, 2007

My House is Filled with Flowers

















OK, my opening was pretty successful. I am happy.
In the morning I carried heavy paintings up and down stairs from studio to car until my arms were shaking. I should have asked for help, but full of American-style pride, I thought I could do this myself. Picked up more work at the framers (the shop of my friend who died earlier is being run by his widow). By the time I got to the gallery I was exhausted. Then I had to hang the show. Here you don’t put nails into walls, which are brick and plaster; you use these tricky hanging wires. Ran back to the faculty to finish one more portrait (Swan Lake)--the gallery owner was in disbelief at my obsessiveness.
The opening attracted a respectable number of people, not packed, but not sparse. Several friends who mean a tremendous amount to me were there, including one who surprised me very much. It was raining and hailing, so I was lucky anyone showed up at all. I think I sold eight small nudes. Many liked the large portraits, but were unimpressed by the abstract work (conversely, my friends in the US are most interested in these).
After the opening I went to a meyhane with artist friends and we drank and talked art for hours. It was lovely.
Now I have exactly two months left in Turkey.

No comments: