Friday, June 29, 2007

Bare Life

















So that’s the second question, and I love it: What is bare life?
Today at the student festival I had my students do a graffiti wall on it. “Bare” doesn’t have a translation in Turkish. I tried to suggest “vulnerable,” “naked,” or even “primeival.” My assistants decided “basic.” So what is basic life?
I think this is one of the most important questions facing an artist. Because making art about trivial life produces one-liners. We are constantly asking ourselves, what is important? And when we ourselves can live a basic life, do we produce better, clearer, more inspired artwork? One of the students wrote “Can there be a bare life?” I think we can live such a life for short periods, but our natural tendency is to complicate and fill our time with stuff and people and places. I know that’s me.
Leading a vulnerable life is so trusting. Exposing ourselves is both thrilling and scary. We do something and immediately cover our eyes at the consequences, then peak through our fingers to see that indeed it was brave to do it. And we are still here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"filling our time with stuff and people and places" I really liked this. I think you're doing a great job with this blog. I didn't read this much before, but nowadays it's like Lost. I'm getting more and more addicted and can't wait to see and read more. Love, M (29)

kloeamongtheturks said...

Dear M,
Wow, what a nice comment. Thanks!
Although I've never watched Lost, I'm now sort of addicted to Nip/Tuck (rather up my alley). Although it's hard to believe a blog can compete with beautiful actors and sex, I'm still complimented.
kisses, Kloe