Saturday, June 30, 2007

What is to be Done?

















Third question.
The question is asked in the spirit of education. Says Documenta Director Buergel, “Today, education seems to offer one viable alternative to the devil (didacticism, academia) and the deep blue sea (commodity fetishism).”
Let’s see, has this been my experience? Has educating myself as an artist or my students or the general public, all of which I have done and continue to do, offered me an alternative to academia or capitalism? No, it has not. To be respected as an artist I must commodify myself, and this is what Kloe is part of. There are so many wannabe academics out there that we can only distinguish ourselves by our success in the marketplace. And that meat market demands artists with impressive resumes coming from first rate art schools who started showing straight out of grad school at the age of 26. I am totally f***ed.
So what is to be done? I have to go back to SoCal, grit my teeth, and change my strategy.

This is my 250th post. I now start my final 30 days abroad.
On a kinder, gentler note, today I also picked and ate raspberries off the vines at my friends’ farm in between drinking red wine and eating bagels (yes, var!). There were pollywogs and tiny frogs in the pond and blue wildflowers in the fields. How can I stay angry with that kind of afternoon?

No comments: