Sunday, August 19, 2007

Piano Lessons

















Did you know, I play the piano. Classical. In Turkey I didn’t have access to one, and now that I’m back in SoCal, my favorite piano is here for me, a lovely baby grand that has always been so comforting. I play mainly Bach, because I like how soothing it is, how mathematical and precise, the different voices switching between hands, overlapping. When my brother died a few years ago, it was Bach that got me through those first terrible days and nights.
So you see, cultured wench that I am, I was born in the wrong century; I should have been a Jane Austen babe, with how I draw and play music. No needlepoint, though. Maybe knitting counts?
Kid.01 is taking piano lessons. He’s ahead of the game with the year of music lessons (mostly recorder) he had in Turkey. I hope he continues; music is so important for the mind, and I credit my diligent piano practicing through my early teens with much of my subsequent academic success (thanks Mom!). I would like a jazz-baby though, a musical form I could never even approach.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn´t know that how interesting
Tell me more
:* M

kloeamongtheturks said...

Yes, I am full of surprises...
XXOO K