Friday, September 21, 2007

Bitch, Bitch, Bitch

















If you can believe this, my urban college doesn’t have internet access for adjuncts. Nor does it have wireless in the library. I guess older profs and deans aren’t web-dependent yet, and don't push for web access at budget time, a crime because most classrooms are not wired either. Poor students, who don’t have computers at home, lose out.
The librarian directed me across the street to this little non-Starbie café, where the internet is free, the coffee great, and the music just what I like. But there is trouble in paradise: a worker told me the city is harassing them (umbrellas outside without a permit, etc.) so some chain can come in here to go along with the ritzy lofts and condos that have sprung up all around (condos no student could afford…). I swear, SoCal belongs only to the rich.

No comments: