Friday, October 12, 2007

Reunion

















Tonight I went to an informal xxth reunion of my high school class. I graduated from a small private high school, but haven’t kept in touch with anyone. These things are always worrisome, because of the comparisons that go on between what you do and what he/she does, how we all look, and money/kids/success blah blah. But it was surprisingly easy. Maybe when we get to a certain age we are more forgiving of each other? Let’s hope so. And I have to say, everyone looked pretty damn good.

2 comments:

ms. v. said...

I went to my fifth high school reunion a few years ago (missed ten when I was in Turkey). I went to a tiny public school, and our reunion was really more like a few hours hanging out in a local bar. What interested me was seeing how much certain people had blossomed... a girl who'd had a rough time in high school who was working in a veterinary hospital and was just incredibly happy, a guy who had also been borderline delinquent who had his own landscaping business, looked really good, and was unfailingly polite and friendly to everyone. And then there were the others, who were still so caught up in the same old petty stuff that kept us all occupied in high school. I suppose at fifteen there will be tons of stories of babies...

kloeamongtheturks said...

That's what surprised me, how everyone had evened out, the wild had settled, the tame had blossomed a bit. Many have kids (preteens now), but no one seemed to be living through them. It was a very casual and friendly group. The one telling thing is that none of us can afford to send our kids to the high school we all went to; that's how SoCal wealth has become so out of control...
Kloe