Saturday, June 14, 2008

School’s Out for Summer!

















Last day of elementary school. I spent the morning teaching 60 kindergarteners how to hula hoop, five at a time. We did hips, arm, neck, foot, jump rope, tossing… felt like circus school. Some of the boys especially were ecstatic to learn the mechanics of this so-called girl activity, and a few even came back a second time. And yes, I did get a welt around my bare arm from repetitive friction…
So somewhere the Great Elementary School Goddess looked down upon me and smiled. Kid.01 tested into the Gifted and Talented Program. Even better, 02’s kindergarten teacher, an amazing woman famed throughout the region, is teaching first grade next year and he has the option of looping with her (two years consecutive with the same teacher). I was so relieved I cried, cause we were faced with the prospect of a weak teacher for him next year.
See, volunteering has multiple payoffs.

No comments: