Thursday, March 19, 2009

Black Womanhood





This show really surprised me. I’d been warned it was mostly “anthropology.” But for me, the African craft, and the nineteenth century photos of African women "on display," were only background to the main event: a beautifully edited group of works by international, contemporary, black women. About themselves.
I just loved seeing these bodies. Photography, video, costumes, totems, installation… as a figurative artist, there are so few shows to inspire me. I understood that as banal as the white woman’s body has become, the black woman’s body is still taboo and dangerous. Black women can be Nude, and with that power these artists deliver strong punches. The work was lovely and shocking at the same time.
This is partially what I’m afraid of: making work this strong.
All images from the catalog, Black Womanhood.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite part about this blog post is how you have integrated your alter ego doll in the photos. She looks like she is full of wonder and longing, and so meditative. Sounds like this was a very moving exhibition. Good luck with your new studio and your own work! May the springtime bring you a well of inspiration!

kloeamongtheturks said...

Thanks so much for your confidence! Yes, have many new projects in the wings. Hope your work also progresses...