Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The Dual Nature of Turkey in Full Glory

















To continue with the headscarf issue, above is a shot taken on the Istanbul Metro of a woman in full black chador or carsaf (sheet). I’m pretty sure it’s against the law to wear such a thing, but you see it everywhere so no one must be prosecuted. I watched this woman get on the train alone, and then sit down next to this man, but she turned her back on him. His reaction was to laugh uncomfortably. Notice the magazine ad above their seat of a sexy naked woman in bed.
Normally I don’t take people’s photos in public places but I just couldn’t resist this one, much to the dismay of the lady sitting across from me…
Hey Kahraman, can you enlighten me any on the issue of full body covering? (He commented on Headscarves.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
As a Turk myself born and raised in western Europe, i was shocked myself to see how many(relativly speaking..) woman in full black chador there are in Istanbul when I was there last month for a citytrip. I saw already lots of places in Turkey but never saw real woman where those chadors. until i visited Turkey. strange... :)

regards,
Ihsan


jurgenadams@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

i meant, until i visited Istanbul offcourse.

kloeamongtheturks said...

Hi Ihsan,
Thanks for the comments! I hardly ever see full chador in the city I live in, but it's a pretty liberal university town.
This woman on the Metro was unique because she was traveling alone.
I hope you keep reading!
best,
Kloe