Friday, March 21, 2008

Koons in LA
































It’s Spring Break, and boy did I need it. I realize teachers are spoiled with our short breaks and long vacations, but it really does make us better at our jobs to have time away. I think everyone should have a week in Spring.
Went to see the new addition to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. It was well worth it. The new building by Renzo Piano now unites the two blocks on Wilshire of LACMA into one long complex. This Jeff Koons piece is in the new entrance (one of the only places you can shoot photos). The inaugural show has full rooms of artists, like Twombly (of whom my kids said “those are the ugliest paintings EVER,” but I love them), Rusche, Sherman, etc. Also two huge Serras.
I’ve never been a big fan of Koons, but I totally got it this time—the playfulness, the sexiness, the great craft. Kids approved also.
Hot tips:
• LACMA is open noon-8pm, but after 5pm it’s pay what you can.
• Sign your kids up for the Next Generation Club, and they get in free until they’re 18, plus one adult per kid also gets in free! Now that’s a smart museum.

No comments: